Links mentioned in the Episode:
- Host: Krissy, dietitian and podcast host.
- Addresses Thanksgiving-related stress and anxiety concerning anti-inflammatory dietary concerns.
- Presents the goal of balancing Thanksgiving indulgence with anti-inflammatory goals.
- Teases the 5 strategies to be discussed.
1. Eat Breakfast to Prevent Overindulging:
- Explains the common fear of overeating on Thanksgiving.
- Advises against starving before the big meal.
- Highlights the survival mechanism behind overeating.
- Recommends having breakfast with protein to avoid overindulging later.
- Emphasizes the importance of balanced eating on Thanksgiving.
2. Realistically Boost Nutrient Content:
- Discusses the strategy of enhancing nutrient content without compromising taste.
- Suggests practical upgrades like using bone broth and adding veggies to dishes.
- Encourages keeping Thanksgiving dishes both tasty and nutrient-packed.
- Shares personal experiences as a dietitian responsible for vegetable dishes.
- Offers a link to 5 favorite veggie dishes, emphasizing their simplicity and nutrient density.
3. Chew Your Food Mindfully:
- Advocates for the practice of mindful eating on Thanksgiving.
- Explains the digestive benefits of chewing food properly.
- Addresses the prevention of indigestion, heartburn, and bloating through mindful chewing.
- Emphasizes the value of savoring flavors and enjoying the holiday.
4. Eliminate Scarcity and Create Abundance:
- Discusses the scarcity mindset often associated with Thanksgiving.
- Challenges listeners to consider the availability of Thanksgiving foods year-round.
- Encourages a shift in perspective to eat more conservatively.
- Shares personal experiences of celebrating Thanksgiving outside the holiday season.
- Advises being intentional about packing leftovers to prevent overeating.
5. Pack Leftovers Ahead of Time:
- Addresses the annual struggle between indulgence and restraint on Thanksgiving.
- Advises listeners to pack leftovers in advance to avoid overeating.
- Mentions managing family pressure to take more servings.
- Highlights the value of taking leftovers home for later enjoyment.
- Shares personal experiences with family expectations and packing leftovers.
6. Take a Breath and Put Thanksgiving in Perspective:
- Encourages listeners not to stress about eating more than planned.
- Reminds them that Thanksgiving is just one day.
- Promotes the true meaning of Thanksgiving: spending quality time and practicing gratitude.
- Advises taking a deep breath and not being too critical of oneself.
- Acknowledges that Thanksgiving doesn't undo year-long self-care efforts.
- Discusses the importance of balancing self-care and celebration.
- Mentions the role of stress in inflammation and how restriction can create stress.
- Advocates for intentionality in savoring food and enjoying company.
- Emphasizes the continuous nature of self-care and anti-inflammatory health.
- Encourages finding ways to enjoy the holiday season while making progress.